Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Favorite Characters created by Jane Austen

I am a HUGE fan of Jane Austen, thanks to my wonderful Mom. She introduced Jane Austen to me, about the time when she first went to England a few years back. Since then, i have enjoyed her love for Jane Austen.
So I thought that I would introduce you to some of my favorite characters created by Jane Austen.
Enjoy!


First is Cathrine Morland from Northanger Abbey. Cathrine loves to read books, exceptionally Ann Radcliffe's novel The Mysteries of Udolpho. The book enchants her, and she looks at life through it. She ends up in Bath with a family friend couple, Mr. and Mrs. Allen. She meets a young man named Henry Tilney, and he helps her see life as she should, not through a Gothic novel.
I like Cathrine the most of Jane Austen's characters because I can relate to her. Sometimes I look at life through a favorite book, then my family and friends help me see it for what it actually is. I don't, though, have Henry Tilney yet. :)


Next is Eleanor Dashwood from Sense and Senseibility. I love how she is a leader in her family, and guides Marianne, her younger sister, when she is unhappy. She falls in love with the handsome Edward Farrars, for whom she waits for a proposal, yet it takes a while for it to come. But she still waits, and has a good heart.
I love the leadership that she owns, and how she waits patiently for Edward. I try to put that into my life.


Fanny Price from Mansfield Park is next. She is a kind, but shy young girl who is raised by Sir Thomas Bertram. She is disliked by the members of the family, who are related, except for the youngest son, Edmund Bertram, who secretly loves Fanny. She struggles through life, mostly from Henry Crawford, who loves Fanny also.
I like how Fanny, like Eleanor, waits for the man whom she loves, and always has the right heart.


Next is Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. she is a determined woman, who will only marry for love. She meets a gentleman named Mr. Darcy, and dislikes him the first second she sees him. Yet, inside, she begins to be interested in him. She struggles through life, deciding if she should love him, or not.
I like Lizzy, because I also relate to her. She only marries for love, not for riches, or for who is the most good-looking. I also like her humor.


Jane Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, is a very, VERY shy woman. She's beautiful, and graceful, (as her mother boasts), and she is adored by men all around. She meets the young, shy Mr. Bingley, and falls in love with him.
Jane reminds me of Eleanor. she is the eldest, a guide to her younger sister Elizabeth, and is waiting for Mr. Bingley's proposal. I like how she too, is patient in life.


Eleanor Tilney from Northanger Abbey, is a kind, woman, and the sister to Henry Tilney. She is gentle and shy, and becomes one of Cathrine's best friends. She also holds a strong memory of her mother, who had past away years ago, whom she never got to say good-bye to. She also has a secret lover, whom she visits secretly from her stern and mean father, General Tilney.
I like Eleanor, because she still loves her lover, even though he is poor. He does not care for what position he's in, she still cares for him.

Now, of course we cannot leave out the gentlemen of the stories.


Henry Tilney is the gentleman from Northanger Abbey, who makes Cathrine curious about him. He is mysterious, and smart. He loves his father, yet the respect for him has disappeared through the years. Henry loves Cathrine, yet he waits for her to see the world as it should be, not through her novels, which he has read himself.
I like Henry Tilney in the 1987 (Peter Firth) version better then JJ Field, (who reminds me strangely of Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit movie series). I like how Henry is very calm, and respects people, and how he is mysterious around Cathrine.


Edmund Bertram from Mansfield Park. He is kind, and funny. He loves Fanny with all his heart, yet he is curious about the beautiful Mary Crawford. he helps guide his father to kindness towards Fanny also.
I like Edmund because he is always a true friend, and never betrays you.


 Edward Farrars from Sense and Sensibility, is a shy gentleman. He longs to become a clergyman, but is unhappy from a promise that he made long ago that pulls him from Eleanor. He does though, become her friend until he can figure the situation out.
Edward is very kind, yet shy, and that's what I like about him. always the last person you would expect to become a clergyman, and still have a kind heart.


Next is Mr. Bingley from Pride and Prejudice. Mr. Bingley has a funny nature, yet he doesn't mean to at times, which makes him even more funny. He is also, a little shy. He loves Jane with all his heart, yet has a struggle on how to tell her.
I like Mr. Bingley, (better then Mr. Darcy, sorry!) because he is quiet, and doesn't like to make himself the center of attention. He is compassionate and easy going.

And, there are a few other characters that I like,(don't know why, but I just do),

Mr. Wickham, Pride and Prejudice




Lydia Bennet, Pride and Prejudice



Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility




Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility



Well, there we are. I hope that you enjoyed this.

1 comment:

  1. It was fun seeing these characters through your eyes, Lynzie! I love that we share an adoration for Jane and her creations!

    ReplyDelete